What is Kinesio Tape?
K-Tape is adhesive and elastic tape that can be used adjunct to a multitude of therapeutic treatments. K-Tape differs from traditional tape as it allows the patient to have full range of movement and does not restrict joint motion. The applications for K-Tape are very wide. It can be applied over muscles and nerves, or around joints and ligaments.
How does Kinesio Tape work?
- K-Tape supports the muculoskeletal and nervous system through tactile and proprioceptive feedback. The additional sensory inputs to help to reduce pain, enable the muscle to work more efficiently and enable better joint alignment.
- K-Tape also promotes lymphatic circulation by lifting the underlying skin and opening the lymphatic vessels. This will help reduce inflammation and swelling in the area. This type of application is beneficial in acute injuries, e.g. ankle sprain, bruising, or cases where peripheral edema or swelling is an issue, e.g. pregnancy, post-mastectomy.
Benefits of using Kinesio Tape?
- Acute Injuries
- K-Tape can be used following an injury to prevent swelling from accumulating.
- The sensory feedback from K-Tape can also be used to decrease pain
- Correcting Posture
- K-Tape can be strategically placed on the body to provide additional sensory feedback which will promote a better posture
- Management of Pregnancy related dysfunction (click here for more info)
- Supporting muscles and joints
- Decreasing muscle spasms